Have people visiting, and don’t want them staying with you? Maybe you’re looking for somewhere to stay for a romantic weekend? We’ve got you covered. There are so many incredible places to stay in the Upstate that are charming and unique. From boutique hotels to gorgeous inns, we’re bringing you the best places for a Staycation in the Upstate. Have a pleasant stay, Upstaters!
Good To Know:
- Two locations, Travelers Rest and Greenville. Travelers Rest location is two blocks from Swamp Rabbit Trail and the Greenville location is two blocks from downtown.
- Owner Wendy is a cycling enthusiast and can help you identify great biking spots if you’re new to the area. Bikes are available to rent on site.
- There is no onsite 24-hour staff. You will be able to let yourself in and out through customized door locks (very easy!).
- Hairdryers and coffee makers are available in the room.
- Parking is available for no additional charge.
- Pool and Wi-Fi on site
- Travelers Rest Inn has seven rooms across the Main House, Cottage, Studio, and Coach House. Rooms can be booked individually or you can book the entire location for a larger group.
$ = <$100
$$ = $101-$200
$$$ = $201-$300
$$$$ = +$301
- Kitchen is stocked with cooking equipment, so swing by the Swamp Rabbit Cafe and Grocery and pick up some local goods to cook, eat at one of the many delicious restaurants within biking distance.
- Check out the detailed Swamp Rabbit Trail map available on their site, along with suggested local shops and restaurants put together by the staff
- Price: $$ = Best Value
- Walk or bike to Leopard Forest Coffeehouse and bring it back to enjoy in the rocking chairs on the large front porch
The minute I turned into the tree-filled circular driveway of the Swamp Rabbit Inn in Travelers Rest, I couldn’t help but sigh in relief. After months of 60+ hour work weeks, I was taking my team for a well-deserved break and just the sight of the large, beautiful front porch was enough to make me slightly giddy with the thought of relaxation.
The staff had already sent us the door code, so we walked in with ease and immediately went to stake out our rooms. With seven of us, we were able to take over the entire Main House for the night and we took to the sleeping arrangement discussion with the enthusiasm of a child’s sleepover. Who would take the massive king bed upstairs? Who shares rooms? Who snores (apparently I do)? Which person is short enough to sleep on the adorable window cot?
Regardless of the sleeping arrangement, all of the rooms were cozy and comfortable. Each room is slightly different in the way it is decorated, so you can choose a room that matches your sensibilities.
The other rooms in the house were just as functional and well-appointed. The spacious living area was the perfect size for a team game night, and the large dining table was great for accommodating us, and the large quantity of tacos we had ordered (a note: Farmhouse Tacos is a short walk away, and they are delicious). The kitchen has everything you’d need to make yourself feel at home. The only thing that our team had difficulty with was figuring out a temperature that suited all of us. Eventually, the ones of us who wanted it cooler won out.
In the main house where we stayed, there are four bathrooms. The upstairs rooms each have their own bathroom, the room at the back of the house has a bathroom, and there is a communal bathroom in the kitchen. All of them were clean and fully stocked for our stay.
I will be the first to admit, when it comes to sleeping in a bed that is not my own, I am not a fan. While this did prevent me from getting the best night’s sleep, the bed was still comfortable and plush. The rest of the team had no complaints about their beds either.
As everyone knows, on any staycation/getaway, calories don’t exist. With this knowledge in mind, we had breakfast at Tandem Creperie. The team made quick work of the crepes, which just left them wanting more. Unfortunately, after this, it was time to reenter the real world.
In all, our team’s stay at the Swamp Rabbit Inn – Traveler’s Rest was extremely pleasant. The grounds were well maintained, and the facilities provided a peaceful respite from our typically fast-paced lives.