The Upstate music scene is full of surprises. This week we’re covering a promising Hip-Hop artist who is unique as he is talented. We’re also covering the return of Jef Chandler to local venues. As the norm, we’ve also got all of the shows this week you can’t miss.
Saturday: Little Stranger @ The Radio Room, 9 PM
Just recently we were sitting here thinking that there is not enough hip-hop on the Upstate music calendar. As they are apt to do, The Radio Room obviously read our minds and booked Charleston’s, Little Stranger, for this Saturday evening. Man, we love when that happens.
Little Stranger is comprised of the duo John and Kevin Shields who were born in Philadelphia but, thankfully for local listeners, found themselves in Charleston. Their debut album, Buddha the Beast, was named one of the Charleston City Paper’s “Favorite Albums of 2015” and the publication named them the “Hip-Hop Artist of the Year” in each of the two years that followed.
As an Indie hip-hop act, Little Stranger’s style ventures all over the proverbial map. John seems as comfortable behind a guitar in a singer/songwriter capacity as he does effortlessly rattling off rhymes into a microphone. For his part, Kevin complements this perfectly with a more out-of-nowhere club-you-over-the-head approach to his delivery. All of this takes place over traditional hip-hop drum beats, acoustic guitar, beatboxing, and more for a wildly eclectic listening experience. I type this with Buddha and the Beast playing in the background and, for all intents and purposes, my iTunes might as well be on shuffle for as stylistically unique each track comes across as. This is the kind of artist that keeps you on your toes and leaves you hungry for what they are going to do next.
Little Stranger followed up Buddha the Beast with the 2017 EP, Techniques, a five-song recording that shows off the growth of the duo in just two short years. Each track is a home run but if you can listen to “Me & You” without waking up with it in your head three days later, you just don’t like music. It is the perfect blend of a catchy chorus tying together just how well John and Kevin’s rhyme styles work together and play off of each other.
The duo also kicked off 2018 with the release of the single “Sing it High” which has us impatiently waiting for more music from the band. If “Me & You” got stuck in our head, “Sing it High” has us singing the chorus on repeat much to the curiosity and eventual chagrin of all those within earshot. The song and the video are both a complete masterpiece and should be all the reason you need to make the trip to the Radio Room Saturday night.
Just to sweeten the pot, local artists Dinner Time and Daddy’s Beemer will get things warmed up for an outstanding evening of music at the Radio Room. Tickets are a more-than-a-bargain $10 in advance and $12 at the door. Get the details here and we’ll see you there!
Sunday: Jef Chandler @ Saluda River Yacht Club, 4 PM
As you may know, singer/songwriter Jef Chandler had an unfortunate hiatus from the local music scene after a violent and unprovoked assault earlier this year. After a long recovery, Jef is on the mend and back to performing shows both solo and with The Bad Popes. We are thrilled to see him out there sharing his music again and to enjoy it on the banks of the river at the Saluda River Yacht Club is something we have been looking forward to for quite some time. Get the details here!
Other Performances You Won’t Want to Miss…
- Secrets @ GroundZero, 6 PM: San Diego hardcore rock band visits Spartanburg for your Humpday shenanigans. For more information, check out our Calendar of Everything here.
- Brother Oliver @ RJ Rockers Brewery, 5:45 PM: Psychedelic folk rock masters are bringing their eclectic, unique, and insanely satisfying style to Spartanburg Thursday evening. For more information, check out our Calendar of Everything here.
- My Girl, My Whiskey, & Me @ Quest Brewing Company, 6:30 PM: The Upstate’s favorite husband and wife singer/songwriter duo is back from their nationwide “50 in 52” tour so let’s give them a big welcome home. For more information, check out our Calendar of Everything here.
- Didges Christ Super Drum @ GroundZero, 6 PM: An extraterrestrial electronic metal band from Florida headlines a big night of music at Spartanburg’s Ground Zero. For more information, check out our Calendar of Everything here.
- Stacked Like Pancakes @ The Radio Room, 8 PM: I was just wondering whatever happened to Ska and then I saw that “brass-rock” Stacked Like Pancakes was visiting the Radio Room so, thank you Serendipity. For more information, check out our Calendar of Everything here.
- Dion Timmer @ The Firmament, 8 PM: Dubstep’s prodigal son visits The Firmament for a great night of music at the Firmament. For more information, check out our Calendar of Everything here.
- Pure Ghost @ Velo Fellow, 9 PM: It is not just a great night of modern alternative rock, it is also the celebration of Pure Ghost’s EP release. For more information, check out our Calendar of Everything here.
- Black Ritual @ GroundZero, 6 PM: Don’t miss Charlotte deathcore masters Black Ritual as they headline a huge lineup of music at Ground Zero. For more information, check out our Calendar of Everything here.
- Of Sea and Stone @ Smiley’s Acoustic Café, 6:30 PM: Missouri American duo Of Sea and Stone kicks your Saturday night in Greenville just right. For more information, check out our Calendar of Everything here.
- Travers Brothership @ Quest Brewing Company, 7 PM: These twin brothers from Asheville are holding down the rock, soul, and funk like nobody’s business. For more information, check out our Calendar of Everything here.
- A Day In Bedlam @ The Firmament, 8 PM: Black Plague, Amnesis, Blackwater Drowning, Redefind, and Violent life violent Death meet at the Firmament for a night of metal off of Woodruff Rd.
- Anna Leigh Band @ Gottrocks, 9 PM: Local Southern rock darling Anna Leigh and her band appear at Gottrocks for their CD release party this Saturday evening. For more information, check out our Calendar of Everything here.
Check out our brand new Calendar of Everything here! Use the filter for “Music” and find all the best music the Upstate has to offer!
7 things to do, eat, & experience for the week ahead - straight to your mailbox each Sunday.